BOARD COMMITTEE STRUCTURE TO REPLACE GRAND COUNCIL
At its August 22, 2016 meeting the Board of Directors approved the development and implementation of an expanded Board committee structure to encourage and facilitate transparency, participation in and understanding of Society governance throughout the membership of the Society.
The Board shall establish Board committees to serve at the pleasure of the Board. Each of these committees will include representatives of the membership-at-large of the Society, to be nominated by the Kingdoms. A request for nomination process is expected to be in place for the initial committees in the 4th quarter of 2016. Committees to be established include the following:
- Finance and Audit – Mission: assist the Board’s oversight of the Company’s accounting and financial reporting processes, the audit and integrity of the Company’s financial statements and the qualifications and independence of the Company’s independent auditor
- Risk Management – Mission: Oversee insurance, legal, and related matters.
- Nominating and Governance – Mission: recommend to the Board the persons to be nominated for appointment as directors; recommend to the Board the directors to be appointed to each committee of the Board; develop and recommend to the Board Society governance guidelines and policies
- Communications – Mission: develop and oversee advertising; public relations; publications, social media and other communications initiatives of the Society
- Membership – Mission: grow and sustain membership in the Society; evaluate and oversee implementation of programs and initiatives for membership support
The Board has also formed the following ad hoc committees to serve until their mission is completed in the discretion of the Board:
- Youth Activities – Mission: Completion of design and implementation of YAFA programs
- Technology – Mission: Prepare 5-year technology development plan for Society
- Peerage – Mission: Review proposals for the creation of new peerage
From time to time the Board may form other ad hoc committees for special projects.
The Board has the authority to dissolve or modify any committee or its membership at any time. Committee members serve at the pleasure of the Board, subject to a 3-year term limit. Initial appointments may at the discretion of the Board be for staggered terms so that the term of all such members of a committee do not expire at the same time. Committees will make recommendations to the Board and give quarterly reports. Committee members will be appointed by the Board and Committee chairs designated by the Board. Committee members at large will be nominated in response to a Request for Nomination (RFN) sent by the Board to each Kingdom Seneschal, describing the mission of the committee and suggested minimum qualifications for committee members. Kingdoms may then (within a defined period of time) nominate individuals in their Kingdom. Nominations would be made by the sitting Crown with the advice and consent of the Kingdom Seneschal.
Comments are strongly encouraged and can be sent to:
Milpitas, CA 95036
You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This announcement is an official informational release by the Society for Creative Anachronism , Inc. Permission is granted to reproduce this announcement in its entirety in newsletters, websites and electronic mailing lists.